Monday, October 7, 2013

A Beginning

My cycling journey started about a year ago in the fall of 2012.  It started as "Hey, Andy! Do you want to train with me and dad for a triathlon?"  "Sure." (said with my usual non-expression)  My brother tore his ACL a second time and was finishing rehab.  He got a really nice training bike for nothing from somebody in the upper ranks of HP.  This was our training device.  Neither of us had bikes yet, which meant we spent too much time looking on ebay and craigslist.  We both ended up buying bikes from our hometown Bakersfield, which is, needless to say, about six or seven hours away from where we live now in northern California.  I think I got a steal.  $350 dollars for a 2006 Specialized allez elite triple complete 105 groupset.  I didn't know much about the triple or 105 groupset at the time but I did know that the bike should fit my 5' 10" frame, being a 54cm.  It took about half of the cycling season and alot of changing parts to get it to feel comfortable.  As it has been said before - Test ride before you buy! 
      Once we had bike our goal was to get ready for R.A.C.E. (Rodney's Amatuer Cycling Events) put on by the wonderful and magnificant Rodney Cox for free! You can check out www.racechico.com and see for yourself how I and my bro. did.  Let's just say we're getting better and most of the triathlon training is out though I did swim and still run, but cycling has caught my fancy. Hopefully I'll be able to remenisce on some past rides, but I would mostly like to focus on the now and keep a more current record of my rides etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment