Friday, January 4, 2019

RTAWW # 4 - Maybe a few thoughts on Zwift and Strava

     So, the header to my blog disappeared. I'll have to figure that out sometime, but I don't think it's on my super important things to do list.  I was wondering what I should write about today - maybe my love for soup (I had some miso soup today), or about writing to several bike companies and their responses, or about the new (used) bike that I got a screamin' wicked good deal on, but I think I want to talk a little about some thoughts on Zwift and Strava. I got to thinking about this while I went on a walk today at Upper Bidwell Park - here:

      For those who don't know, Zwift is a like a computer game that you are able to attach to your bike trainer so you can spin on your bike at home and race/ride in various places (in the world?) on your tv screen.  It's a nice way to make spinning a bit more fun and interesting.  Strava is an app that tracks your riding/running which is shared with people who "follow" you. It also has many other little features which help you track progress and such. 
       I was thinking about Zwift because someone I know was asking if/how/why people like using Zwift.  The overall consensus that I'm taking from reading the replies is that people who use it like it.  I've never used it and don't have the money to buy a nice "smart" trainer to make the gaming experience accurate and worth your time.  I'm not sold on the idea.  I think it is cool that you can kind of interact with other people and the best feature is that it is great for getting in a ride (spinning) with little time because it's done in the convenience of your home and can be done in any weather.  The down side is, in my opinion, that it may detract from people taking the time to get out and getting that fresh air and actually interacting with people and nature. The other thing is that in my experience with spinning is that most people don't publicly share their spinning sessions.  I don't think that they need to - I pretty much never have (maybe a few times by manually entering the activity into Strava). This aspect of sharing activities is what made me think of Strava. I've had mixed emotions about using Strava for a while now.  I don't really use it much anymore. But I think that's about to change. The reason that I will start using Strava again is because, I think it is important to share your rides. I like seeing that my friends were out for a ride. I get ideas on places where I can ride. I get to see the sites that they saw (if they share a picture or two from the ride). And maybe most importantly, I get inspired to get out and enjoy a bike ride myself. 
     The connection of the two - Zwift and Strava - is that I see Zwift as a potential to detract from inspiring others to get out and ride your bikes where people can see cyclists. Not only does getting out and riding in public healthy for you, but it can inspire others to ride, and help the public image of cycling (for commuting or health or fun) - especially if you obey the law by not running stop signs or using hand signals and so on. 
     The short story is that I think both programs have their place, but I think it is important for people to get out into the fresh air where they can see others and others can see them so maybe more people will want to ride and enjoy life on two wheels. Ride on!

No comments:

Post a Comment