Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Wind Chill While Cycling - How Cold Is It With That Wind Chill?

I went out again in the bitter cold.  Today I checked the weather.  42F where I was starting out and 34F where I was going to be.  I wore my winter (not cycling) gloves ontop of my cycling gloves and I'm happy to report that I had nice warm hands for almost the entire time.  There was a point where I felt a slight chill but it didn't last long.  I wore an extra pair of socks and well my feet did better than they would have with one pair socks but still got pretty dang cold when I was going fast (15-35mph).  So as I was screaming down the bottom part of a hill I was thinking to myslef, "I wonder how cold it really feels with the wind chill?"  Thus I decided to seek out how cold it is.  I found this nice chart online.

Click on the chart to see it better!

Wind speed (or how fast you're going on you're bike in this case) is on the left and the thermometer temperature is on the top.  All of the other numbers are what the temperature feels like.  I saw on one chart stated that wind at 40mph or faster has little effect on the way temperature feels so if you go really fast on your bike it won't get colder and colder.  There is a stopping point to the cold.   So today the coldest point for me was about 21F (-6C) as I was going 35mph down in the valley where it was 34F (1C).  Cold.  Here's a Conversions chart for anyone who needs to figure the chart in Celcius. Happy and Warm Riding to Everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all this information and perspective for free. I had a request, if you don't mind, would you please check out my post on Best bicycling gloves.This would mean a lot to me. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete